- This event has passed.
Art Journaling / Mixed Media Social!
February 14 @ 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 1:00 pm on Thursday, repeating until May 28, 2019
Join us each Thursday from 1 – 3:30 pm for our Art Journaling/Mixed Media Social. It’s a combination of learning, sharing, arting and making new friends. Art journaling and mixed media are so very easy that anyone can do it — whether you incorporate drawing and painting or coloring, or decoupage pretty papers and rubber stamps, gather your journaling supplies and join us at ClayZ every Tuesday afternoon.
Cost is $10/session and includes use of basic art supplies and instructions. We encourage you to bring your own supplies to share as well. Things that have worked well for you, or maybe not so well. Never tried art journaling before? Here’s a list of potential supplies, get as many or as little as you want. Not sure if you want them, come see us and we’ll help you decide…
Want us to provide a few items we think are good to start with? Order our beginner kit when booking. We must have 5 days advance notice to get beginner kit. You can attend class without and just pay $5 extra for a canvas board to create your first piece.
90# or 140# Paper (either a sketchbook with wire binding or glued pads, either can be used)
(YOU MUST HAVE A JOURNAL OR PURCHASE A BEGINNER’S SUPPLY KIT IN ADVANCE OF CLASS – PURCHASE WHEN BOOKING CLASS)
– 140# (# = pound/lb.) is generally watercolor paper and can withstand lots of layers and water without falling apart.
– 90# is a bit less expensive with more pages and can be reinforced with layers of tape and decoupaging book pages or decorative papers to get a sturdier base. If your preferred instruments of creating are pencils, markers and pencils, you may want to use either marker paper or a lower weight, smooth paper.)
Fun spiral bound journals:
– 5.5″ x 8″ – https://www.amazon.com/Strathmore-Visual-Watercolor-Journal-Sheets/dp/B003YIXDKE/ref=sr_1_12?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1544638671&sr=1-12&keywords=watercolor+journal
– 9″ x 12″ – https://www.amazon.com/Strathmore-Visual-Watercolor-Journal-Sheets/dp/B007SQ2SVI/ref=sr_1_13?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1544638671&sr=1-13&keywords=watercolor+journal Flat/Bound journals (my preference because you can put two sheets together to make a larger art piece):
This is the one I have from Michaels at a good price if you can get to the store: https://www.michaels.com/artists-loft-watercolor-pad/10189610.html#q=water+color+pad&start=1
– 9″ x 12″ – https://www.amazon.com/Canson-Watercolor-Textured-Charcoal-100510941/dp/B004M59O4C/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1544638889&sr=1-2-fkmr3&keywords=artist%27s+loft+watercolor+pad
The 9 x 12 makes a huge double page size – I have this and many times would like something a bit smaller when I want to do a full spread.
– 5.5″ x 8.5″ – https://www.michaels.com/strathmore-400-series-watercolor-pad/10556075.html#q=water+color+pad&start=5 (I’m probably going to see if I can grab one or two of these for me — more manageable size for travel.)
Mediums (grab a couple to get you started)
- Water-based Sharpee (blue ring around paint pen)
- Gel pen in white
- Tombows (water based markers)
- Pitt Pens (India ink based markers)
- Alcohol based markers (Artist Loft at Michaels are fine to start with, just get basic colors and flesh colors if you like to draw faces)
- Stabilo All Pencils are great water-soluable pencils
- Watercolors (again, Artist Loft is fine)
- Acrylic paints
- Colored pencils and/or watercolor pencils
- Gelatos, Distress Crayons or similar water soluable crayons (Crayola even has a type)
- Drawing or sketching pencils and good eraser
- Mod Podge or Decoupage medium OR best option is Liquitex Matte Medium (it glues and seals)
- Rubber stamps
- Printed tissue paper
- Old books (music books are a favorite and you can get them at secondhand stores)
- Old books to refurb as sketch books — thicker paper like you find in children’s cardboard first books or old learn to paint/draw books from the 70s and 80s.
- Pretty dinner napkins
- Washi tape, duct tape and masking tape
- Inks and sprays
And the list can go on and on and on…get what you can afford, then add as you enjoy this relaxing art form.
Payment due at time of reservation.
NO Refunds A credit to attend a future class will be issued if cancellation is made more than 24 hours before the scheduled event. Thank you.